Wednesday, September 30, 2009

boat extravaganza

It all started on a rainy day. You would think that we would be used to this kind of weather, as we are living in Ireland, but we have been blessed with incredible weather so far. So it was a little bit of a downer, but I was still pushing through. I personally had no idea where we were going either. All I knew was that we were going to be hiking, but that was about it. For some reason, Jess, one of our P.A.s, was super positive and hyper. Her attitude was so great, so ready for anything, and it was catching. I am so thankful for that positivity, as otherwise the day could have been awful. But with her infectious smiles, it was amazing. As we got off the bus, I saw that we had come to a lake, and there were three motorboats that looked like canoes. We were going to take a ride around the lake and look at the views, and then it was going to take us to starting point of our two hour hike. The views were amazing. You could see the mountains, the foliage, the random islands, and even a castle popped up there. Everywhere you looked it was simply breathtaking.

Then we came to a bridge, and the river had a rapids going that the boats couldn’t cross. We had to get off the canoes and cross the bridge, pull the boats through with a rope. My canoe pulled up to the land, and the guide told us to follow the path and cross the bridge. We saw no path at first and were a little confused; then we also saw that the other two boats were unloading at a point much closer to the bridge. Realization hit us: there was no path. Not only was there no path, but the ground was flooded to about mid-calf. There was nothing to do but to forge ahead. So my group did it. And as a result, our boots were soaking wet the whole day. But it was totally okay. I had a bullet proof positive attitude. We pulled the boats through the rapids, and got back on them. We finished the boat ride among downpour, but I had a great time with the people in my boat.

And once we got hiking, we felt much warmer. The hike was amazing. The view of the Gap of Dunloe was simply brilliant. God’s beauty and brilliance almost hit you in the face; it was so in front of your eyes. It was a really fantastic day for me. It not only brought the beauty of God’s earth in front of me, but also the beauty of His people and their individual personalities. As a group in close quarters, we are easily affected by one another. I was so thankful for Jess and her attitude; she made the whole day not only bearable, but fun. I was able to find the joy through the discomfort and the cold. This is a big thing for me, as I tend to be a negative person. So this day was not only fun and full of gorgeous sights, but it was meaningful, and it taught me a big lesson that I have been trying to keep with me, and intend to keep with me for the rest of the trip.


written by Kaela Blasen

1 comment: